VOCABULARY #1 DEFINITIONS & SENTENCES
1. Radical - a person who holds or follows strong convictions or extreme principles; extremist
Some radicals from the 1960’s tried organize the workers in the factories. (2)
2. autonomous adj. Not controlled by others or by outside forces; independent in mind or judgment; self-directed.
3. My job as a writer is very autonomous(2)
4. plausible – having an appearance of truth or reason
I could invent some plausible expenses, like gas and rent (2)
5. subsidy – a grant or contribution of money
Can a single mother survive without government aid in the form of food stamps, Medicaid, and housing and child subsidies? (3)
6. Parameter – limits or boundaries; guidelines
I first decided on certain rules and parameters for this project. (4)
7. Deterioration – a gradual decline, as in quality, serviceability, or vigor
My housing standards were prone to deterioration over time. (4)
8. Illiterate – one who is unable to read and write
This job could have been done very well by an illiterate. (5)
9. Tribulation – grievous trouble; severe trial or suffering.
I set some limits to whatever tribulations I would have to suffer. (5)
10. Homogeneous - of the same kind or nature; essentially alike.
Low-wage workers are not homogeneous in personality or ability (8)
11. Indignation – strong displeasure at something considered unjust, offensive or insulting
I wondered why there wasn’t more indignation when I told them my story. (9)
12. Exaggerate – to magnify beyond the limits of truth; overstate
Maybe I was exaggerating the size of my deception. (9)
13. Prosperity -a successful, flourishing, or thriving condition, especially in financial respects
I was trying to survive with a low-wage job in a time of prosperity. (10)
14. Discourse - communication of thought by words; talk; conversation
I would hope we can then return to more rational discourse on the subject
15. Coherence - The quality or state of cohering, especially a logical, orderly, and aesthetically consistent relationship of parts
Their ideas, thoughts or reasoning are lacking coherence.